My Martial Arts and when I began




                   
                                            My Martial Arts and when I began


                                                                   By


                                                          Barry L. Crouse



            I would like to discuss when I began my Martial Arts training.  I had a lot of factors that contributed to my wanting to study the martial arts and I can remember that as a boy in Hawaii about six or seven years I flew a kite off the lagoon and a kid about twelve years old asked if I wanted to fight I asked him what is fight he told me to roll my string in and bring my kite in so I did. I was backfisted in the nose and my kite busted and broken with a bloody nose.


           In another instance, My Dad was in the Navy back in the late 60's and they were burning sugar canes and I contracted Asthma as a result my mother gave me yoga breathing exercises from her book and I learned how to breathe from than on.



           My family had left Hawaii in 1970 and came to Charleston, South Carolina and I studied Judo about 1974 at a local summer camp for about two or three months also my Dad took me to watch Billy Jack Films around 1973 - 1974 while he was still in the Navy. I wanted to study from than on but that would be very hard because there was not very many schools back than and on top of that Our family moved to Cleveland, Ohio 1975 so that my Dad can finish his Navy career.


           I graduated from high school 1981 and started to study Tae-kwon-do in the fall of that year for about 6 months and I went to boot camp about April 1982 Fort Leonardwood, Missouri I graduated and came back home July 1982 and studied  Aikido for about six months while attending Cleveland State University fall of 1982 and went into Korean Martial Arts mainly Tae-Kwon-do the next two years and obtained a green belt under Grandmaster Sang-Oh-Moon 1983 -1985 after that I studied with Grandmaster Ray Szuch and obtained my Black Belt August 1988.



           While attending Cleveland State University,  I studied two years of Mathematics including Calculus all three flavors. The purpose of Martial Arts is to bring focus and concentration into your studies and this helped me get basically A's and B's in Mathematics as a result because High school left a bad taste in my mouth and made me lack confidence and the Martial Arts restored self worth by learning how to focus and concentrate and working at my craft things I excel at.


Barry L. Crouse

08/20/2017



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Training for 2nd Degree Black Belt

September 2017 Training